If you’re looking for a classic and versatile design for your bathroom, a subway tile shower might be the perfect solution. This type of tile is called “subway” because it was originally used in the New York City subway stations in the early 1900s. Since then, it has become a popular choice for both residential and commercial bathrooms due to its durability, affordability, and timeless appeal.
What are Subway Tiles?
Subway tiles are rectangular-shaped ceramic tiles that are typically three inches by six inches in size. They are usually installed in a brick pattern, with each row offset by half the width of a tile. This creates a clean and simple look that can be customized with different grout colors and finishes.
Why Choose Subway Tiles for Your Shower?
There are many reasons to choose subway tiles for your shower, including:
- Easy to Clean: Subway tiles have a smooth and non-porous surface that makes them easy to clean and maintain. You can simply wipe them down with a damp cloth or sponge to keep them looking like new.
- Durable: Ceramic tiles are known for their durability and resistance to wear and tear. They can withstand heavy foot traffic, moisture, and heat without cracking or fading.
- Affordable: Subway tiles are a budget-friendly option for bathroom renovations. They are widely available and come in a variety of colors and finishes to suit any design style.
- Timeless Appeal: Subway tiles have been around for over a century and are still a popular choice for modern bathrooms. They have a classic and timeless look that can be paired with any decor style.
Design Ideas for Subway Tile Showers
Subway tiles can be used in a variety of design styles and patterns to create a unique and personalized look for your shower. Here are some design ideas to consider:
- Contrasting Grout: Choose a grout color that contrasts with your tile color to create a bold and graphic look. For example, if you have white subway tiles, choose a black or gray grout for a modern and edgy look.
- Mosaic Accents: Add a pop of color or pattern to your shower by incorporating mosaic tiles into your design. You can create a border or accent wall using colorful or patterned tiles for a bold and playful look.
- Herringbone Pattern: Install your subway tiles in a herringbone pattern for a chic and sophisticated look. This pattern adds texture and visual interest to your shower walls.
- Vertical Stacking: Instead of the traditional brick pattern, stack your subway tiles vertically for a sleek and modern look. This pattern creates a sense of height and can make your shower feel more spacious.
Installation and Maintenance Tips
When installing subway tiles in your shower, it’s important to follow proper installation techniques to ensure a long-lasting and water-tight finish. Here are some installation and maintenance tips to keep in mind:
- Use Waterproof Backer Board: Install your subway tiles on a waterproof backer board to prevent moisture from seeping behind the tiles and causing damage to the wall.
- Seal Grout Lines: Apply a grout sealer to your grout lines to prevent water from seeping through and causing damage to your walls or subfloor.
- Use Non-Abrasive Cleaners: When cleaning your subway tiles, use a non-abrasive cleaner and a soft cloth or sponge to avoid scratching or damaging the surface of the tiles.
- Repair Cracks and Chips Immediately: If you notice any cracks or chips in your subway tiles, repair them immediately to prevent water from seeping through and causing damage to your walls or subfloor.
A subway tile shower is a classic and versatile choice for any bathroom renovation. With its durability, affordability, and timeless appeal, it’s easy to see why subway tiles have been a popular choice for over a century. Whether you prefer a traditional brick pattern or a modern herringbone design, there are endless possibilities for customizing your subway tile shower to suit your style and needs.