Walk in tubs with shower offer an ideal solution for seniors and people with mobility issues who want to continue bathing safely and comfortably. These tubs offer several benefits that traditional bathtubs don’t, including easy access, safety features, and therapeutic benefits. If you’re considering purchasing a walk-in tub with a shower for your home, this guide will provide all the information you need to make an informed decision.
What are Walk in Tubs with Shower?
Walk in tubs with shower are a type of bathtub that features a watertight door that swings open to allow the user to step into the tub. These tubs are designed to provide easy access for people with mobility issues, making it easy for them to bathe safely and comfortably. The shower feature in these tubs makes it easy for the user to rinse off after a bath and eliminates the need to step out of the tub, reducing the risk of falls and slips.
Benefits of Walk in Tubs with Shower
Walk in tubs with shower offer several benefits over traditional bathtubs, including:
- Safety: The walk-in design eliminates the need to step over a high bathtub wall, reducing the risk of falls and slips. These tubs also come equipped with safety features such as grab bars and non-slip surfaces, making them ideal for seniors and people with mobility issues.
- Therapeutic benefits: Many walk-in tubs with showers come equipped with features such as whirlpool jets and air massage systems that provide therapeutic benefits for people with arthritis, chronic pain, and other conditions.
- Easy access: The walk-in design makes it easy for people with mobility issues to enter and exit the tub.
- Water conservation: Walk in tubs typically use less water than traditional bathtubs, making them a more eco-friendly option.
Features to Look for in a Walk in Tub with Shower
When shopping for a walk in tub with shower, there are several features to look for, including:
- Size: Walk in tubs come in a variety of sizes, so make sure to choose one that fits your bathroom space and your needs.
- Door: Look for a bathtub with a wide and easy to open door.
- Safety features: Make sure the tub you choose has safety features such as grab bars, non-slip surfaces, and a low threshold.
- Jet system: If you’re looking for therapeutic benefits, look for a tub with a jet or air massage system.
- Water heater: Some walk in tubs have an in-line water heater that helps to maintain a consistent water temperature.
- Installation: Make sure to choose a tub that is easy to install and fits your existing plumbing.
How to Install a Walk in Tub with Shower
Installing a walk-in tub with shower requires some plumbing and electrical work, so it’s best to hire a professional to do the job. Here are the steps involved in installing a walk-in tub:
- Remove the existing bathtub and prepare the area for installation.
- Connect the water supply and drain lines to the new tub.
- Install any necessary electrical components, such as a power cord or GFCI outlet.
- Test the tub to make sure it’s working properly.
Cost of Walk in Tubs with Shower
The cost of a walk in tub with shower can vary depending on several factors, including the size, features, and installation requirements. Generally, you can expect to pay between $2,000 and $10,000 for a walk-in tub with a shower. Keep in mind that some insurance companies and Medicare may cover some or all of the cost of a walk-in tub if it’s considered medically necessary.
Walk in tubs with shower offer a safe and comfortable bathing solution for seniors and people with mobility issues. With the right features and installation, a walk-in tub with a shower can provide therapeutic benefits and make it easy for anyone to take a relaxing bath. If you’re considering purchasing a walk-in tub with shower, make sure to do your research and choose a tub that fits your needs and budget.